Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kylie Elizabeth Marie Baird's Memorial



I have never photographed a wake/memorial service for anyone except myself when I've lost my grandparents. I know it seems weird, but for those that have lost someone dear, memories are all we have. As a creator and capturer of memories it only seems appropriate to share and bring to my friends a document to last beyond her life and into the memories of those still here.
I have to say that funerals are often beautiful and this particular day was really a beautiful celebration of a life lived well. Tragically Kylie's friends, family, husband and son lost her inexplicably early and we will all be poorer because of it simply for the fact that this woman was just beginning to know who she was both spiritually and physically.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jake and Kylie a couple years ago at church, then I really got close to them as our church did Life's Healing Choices and then through a home group. Early into home group was when we learned they were expecting and shortly there-after she said that she wanted me to do her maternity pictures. I've never done a maternity & newborn session and so I was curious what it would be like. Naturally, Kylie and Jake are a very photogenic couple so they really made it so much easier because they've got chemistry, she's gorgeous and I know them all well. So as you know, I did the maternity session and they came out so perfectly. Then I got to do Judah's newborn photos. Again, the boy has got the best of them both, I can't wait to do his next photo session. From doing these sessions I got to be with them intimately for more time then the average and so when I learned of her passing, what really was so suffocating to me was that it was only a couple months ago when I took these brilliant, glowing, captivating and just simply gorgeous photos of this woman and somehow, someway, she's taken from us.

My condolences to my friend Jake, her father, Butch and the rest of the Schilling's and Baird's. I'm so grateful for the kind words you've all shared about the photos I've taken of her. I pray that the Lord will bless and keep you that his goodness will shine upon you in the times it feels dark and heavy and that he'll give you peace to weather this time of immediate knowledge of loss. I hope these photos bring you a little comfort and remind you that hundreds of people love her still...

2 comments:

Stuart Meyer - Indianapolis Photographer said...

Well-done slideshow, Brian. You captured the emotion and celebration of that funeral. Great job.

Anne Lesch said...

Brian-this is incredible. I'm speechless. God bless you.
Anne

Who's this Brian guy?

My photo
I'm one of the few people from Wyoming in the midwest. Born and bred, by default I'm a cowboy, through life though I guess I've kept the wanderlust and taken it urban. Having lived in 11 states now, I feel safe to say that I've found home in Indy. I'd never have dreamed I'd live here but 5 years later, I have no complaints! I've been a "lifestyle" photographer for quite a while. Cutting my teeth in landscape photography and photojournalism out West I've developed a style that focuses on simplicity, beauty and life lived well.