Monday, January 3, 2011

Tara and Doug's engagement slideshow



At the end of 2009 I shot a wedding, at the end of 2010 I shot an engagement session. I'm curious to see what job I've got to finish 2011!

I had a great time with Tara and Doug, who actually won my engagement session at a silent auction to help raise money for St. Mary's Parish downtown. These two are getting married in Austin in November and I'm keeping my fingers crossed they won't find a better Diehl, I mean deal down there and will want to have me as their personal photographer for a couple days.

Doug lives in the Block building downtown and since I'm "new" to Indy, as in I didn't live here when the Block was a department store, I've had no real reason to visit it. Well, as you will discover in watching, some of the interior shots are from the top floors of the building. Ideally we would've been on the roof, but New Years Eve didn't get us in touch with the appropriate people so we settled for some inside and then, as God so graciously provided, we had a 60 degree evening to shoot in, so it was "just right", as Goldilocks would've said to work outside.

Inside the Block is really fascinating. As I was initially shooting, I got a sense of a sort of mobius/Escher-like feeling. You know how Escher was able to convey in his drawing that there was never an end or a beginning, much like the mobius strip... If you're in the right place the angles and lighting were just right to give it a feeling of constant flow. We did some pictures on the retired escalators there and then headed over to the Capitol and finished up around Monument Circle, stopping in at the Columbia Club to crash a couple weddings which hadn't yet started and then end the shoot at dusk on the Monument.

Thanks Tara and Doug for your support of St. Mary's and me! I had a ball and a blessed New Year to all my friends, family and future clients!

No comments:

Who's this Brian guy?

My photo
I'm one of the few people from Wyoming in the midwest. Born and bred, by default I'm a cowboy, through life though I guess I've kept the wanderlust and taken it urban. Having lived in 11 states now, I feel safe to say that I've found home in Indy. I'd never have dreamed I'd live here but 5 years later, I have no complaints! I've been a "lifestyle" photographer for quite a while. Cutting my teeth in landscape photography and photojournalism out West I've developed a style that focuses on simplicity, beauty and life lived well.